While I work with a variety of people, my credentials and approach are an especially good fit for maturing or otherwise changing bodies – people encountering new challenges that may include general aches & pains, injuries (old & new), or health conditions (arthritis, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, metabolic syndrome, etc).
My current certifications include:
- Medical Exercise Specialist through the American Academy of Health, Fitness and Rehabilitation Professionals
- Certified Exercise Physiologist (EP-C) through the respected American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
- Functional Training Specialist through Fitness Institute International
- Certified Yoga Teacher through Willow Street Yoga in Takoma Park, Maryland
- Certified Instructor of Otago Senior Strength and Balance classes
- Heartsaver CPR/AED Certified
In the past I have earned certifications from these respected organizations:
- National Strength & Conditioning Association, CSCS (Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist)
- National Academy of Sports Medicine, CPT (Certified Personal Trainer)
- Aerobics & Fitness Association of America, Instructor
- Wellcoaches School of Coaching, Health and Wellness Coach
Professional Affiliations & Experience
- As a member of ACSM and the IDEA Health and Fitness Association, I have access to a wide range of educational and research materials I can share with my clients. Through these professional societies, I am listed in ACSM’s ProFinder and in IDEA’s FitnessConnect directories, which verify professional qualifications.
- I worked for several years on the interdisciplinary team at the National Center for Weight and Wellness in Washington D.C. and have retained a working relationship there.
- I have worked throughout the DC metro area as a Personal Trainer at Sport and Health (in Bethesda & Tenleytown), Aspen Hill Club, Rock Creek Sports Club and Gold’s Gym of Silver Spring.
Interests and specializations
- My certifications require a significant level of continuing education, and I’ve specialized in a number of areas that matter to my clients—like improving back health; preventing or recovering from injured shoulders, hips, and knees; exercising with arthritis, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia and other conditions; and designing efficient regimens requiring minimal equipment & time.
- In keeping with my commitment to ongoing education, I have taken graduate courses in Human Movement through A.T. Still University’s Arizona School of Health Sciences, including courses in Motor Control and Human Movement Dysfunction.
- My studies at Fitness Institute International in 2002 made me among the earliest professionals certified in functional training by Juan Carlos Santana at the Institute of Human Performance in Boca Raton, Fla. Check out this article on functional training basics for more information about Santana’s approach.
Personal experience in my own maturing body!
In addition to having deep knowledge about human physiology and vocabulary to coordinate with other health professionals (such as physicians, orthopedists, and physical therapists), my own experience makes me able to relate! If you have the interest and some extra time on your hands, you can read about my total hip replacement here.